The CSCS Labourer Card and How to Get it
Workstream Construction Services Ltd, Bicester: July 29, 2015 – The primary role of the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) has always been to provide the construction industry with the means to confirm site workers' training and qualifications. Unfortunately, too many site workers carrying out skilled occupations have been using the green Construction Site Operative (CSO) card, intended for unskilled workers, as the easiest way to gain access to construction sites without having their skills properly tested. To combat this inappropriate use of the CSO card, it has been discontinued since the beginning of July 2014.
The CSO card's replacement, the "Labourer" card, is available only to people working in labouring occupations. Site Operatives who do not work in a labouring occupation, should use the
CSCS card finder to establish which is the right card for them depending on the type of work they carry out and/or the qualifications they hold.
These are the choices for site operatives who qualify for the Labourer green card:
- Those seeking to work in a labouring occupation should apply for the green Labourer card. They must pass the CITB Operatives Health, Safety and Environment test before they can be issued with their card. (They must apply for the card within two years of having passed the test.) They will also need to provide evidence that they have achieved either QCF/SCQF Level 1 Award Health and Safety in a Construction Environment or the One day Site Safety Plus Health and Safety Awareness Course. *
- If site operatives already have a green CSO card that expires after July 1, 2014, it will remain valid until its current expiry date. (CSCS cards can be renewed up to six months before they expire.) However, it is very likely that if they want to work on a site operated by a member of the UK Contractors Group, they will be required to show evidence that they have passed the Cskills One day Site Safety Plus Health and Safety Awareness Course (or at least have booked a place on that course). **
* Site operatives can find out how to take the Level 1 Award Health and Safety in a Construction Environment, by contacting their local college of further education, training centre or Jobcentre Plus. They will be advised about training and assessment availability, pricing and whether funding is available.
** Details of the Cskills one day Site Safety Plus Health and Safety Awareness Course can be found here.
- ends -
For more information, please contact David Bridson at Bridson Kneale Associates on +44 1295 811241 or +44 7711 981461 or use the form here to email him. (Select “Media Enquiries" from the drop-down Department field.)
Workstream Construction Services supplies a comprehensive range of essential site services to the construction industry:
- Recruitment expertise – Reliable provision of temporary, contract and permanent personnel across the full range of industry disciplines, including general trades & labour; site engineers; site management and administrative staff; and building envelope, interior fit out, mechanical & electrical, and structural steel specialists.
- Engineering services – Fixed price contracts for site engineering and setting out, CAD and data processing, topographical and building surveys, and related technical services.
- Site logistics packages – Waste management, site security, traffic control, snagging and small works.
Founded in 1993, Workstream is headquartered in Bicester, near Oxford, and delivers services throughout the UK, with operations centred on Birmingham, Edinburgh, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield and Swindon. Quality of service is underpinned by ISO 9001 certification for recruitment services at the company's Bicester, London and Sheffield operational hubs. In addition to its Investors in People Silver status, Workstream has achieved all the construction industry's leading health & safety accreditations. Regular staff training and updates to management processes ensure the company continues to comply with statutory and industry-mandated regulations while delivering innovative solutions to its clients' site challenges.